1.11.2010

Pain in my lower back

I am posing a question to those more experienced runners:

Immediately after completing my six-mile run, my lower back was in extreme pain. I tried stretching, but it didn't seem to help much.

One of the other runners suggested I go home and lay a rolled-up towel beneath my lower back. He said that would help my hips and back relax.

I did that, and it helped a lot. But I'm wondering if there is anything preventative I can do.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Do I have the wrong shoes or do I need inserts? Should I change my posture while I'm running? Should I stretch out my back before I run?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I would suggest a visit to Dr. Chuck Zoellner. Many other Runners World runners go to him including myself. He is a chiropractor that also works with soft tissue and well...he can explain better than me. Anyway, he is also a runner and can help you with your stride to see if you are using your back to lift your legs or using your legs to power your run. It sounds like you are using your back. Dr. Z can help with that. His number's 488-8600..he's on 91st just west of Yale. He has a website also that you can check out for more info...just google him and you'll find it. Hope you get some relief! Oh, and always ice inflammation, I always want to reach for heat, but you should ice it.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congrats on your 6-mile run!
    I suggest once your back starts feeling better, start doing some core exercises at the gym. Having strong core muscles is important for running. I didn't know this until my aunt had a disk slip in her back while stretching after a run. Her doctor told her it happened because her core muscles were weak.
    I bought a medicine ball that came with a DVD that shows a lot of core exercises you can do with it. I try to do core exercises twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are 21 I would suggest a Margarita with extra salt...possibly 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what Jenny said. Here is a link that shows some swiss ball exercises for runners. www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17531

    If it is a lingering problem, you might want to see a chiropractor. As Deborah said, several runners from our group go to Dr. Zoellner and have been happy with him. I go to Drs. Jon and Cheryl Steffins, because they have the absolute greatest assistant (my daughter) who helps patients with rehabilitative stretching and strengthening exercises. They are located at 110th and Memorial, and their number is 394-1444.

    ReplyDelete