1.03.2010

The Food Network

Don't get me wrong. I love the Food Network.

I'm not much of a cook, so those chefs are magic to me. In my book, Alton Brown is a wizard; Robert Irvine a sorcerer.

That being said, I have a hard time enjoying Gina Neely crafting the perfect sangria-swirled margarita while I'm huffing and puffing on the treadmill. Not to mention the commercials: warm brownies and gooey chocolate-chip cookies, straight from the oven. Mmmm...

Wait, what was I talking about? Oh yeah. Working out.

At least three of the TVs at the gym were set to the Food Network when I went Jan. 2 to take another stab at three miles on the treadmill. Maybe that's motivational for other people, but I found myself longing to be anywhere but the gym, namely the Neelys' kitchen!

Despite a variety of distractions (do you know how crowded a gym is on Jan. 2?), I managed to complete my three miles.

Confession: I didn't run them straight through. After two miles, I was terribly bored on the treadmill (and wasn't about to plug my earbuds into the FN), so I stopped to do weight training and abs, promising myself I would go back and complete the third mile.

True to my word, I did it. So, there you have it. I can run three miles.

I still have some concerns about this half-marathon (like if I get bored after two miles, how will I ever make it to 13?), but I am feeling much better about Jan. 4.

I'm ready. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment