12.22.2009

An idea is born

It had been sitting in my Inbox for days: Nestled between a note from my mom about Christmas recipes and a message from my best friend confirming weekend plans was an e-mail from RunnersWorld Tulsa.

I had signed up for the store's e-mail updates months ago but had rarely read one, often deleting them without even opening.

But, with thoughts of New Year's Eve approaching and resolutions following closely behind, I didn't have the heart to outright delete it.

I opened it. The e-mail invited me to join a running group to train for "Remember the 168," a marathon (or half marathon) in Oklahoma City to honor those who died in the 1995 bombing.

"I'll think on it," I told myself.

Days passed with very little thinking.

About a week later, I stumbled upon the e-mail again -- this time, in a new frame of mind.

I had just interviewed Danny Cahill, Broken Arrow's own winner of "The Biggest Loser." In a conference call, he talked about how proud he felt after completing a marathon.

He admitted he was intimidated when he learned that, in two months' time, he was expected to run 26.2 miles.

"Running was definitely not my strong point at that time," he said. "I hated to run."

Despite that fear, he made the marathon his goal. He focused on completing the task.

"It seems the way to conquer your fears is just to go out and do them," he said.

I'm taking Danny's advice, I decided.

In a matter of minutes, I had coaxed my best friend into joining me, talked my mom into buying me new running gear and changed my Facebook status to reflect my new goal. It was official.

My New Year's Resolution is to run a half marathon.

I'm planning to use this blog to record my progress.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm really excited for you! I think you can absolutely accomplish this if you've set your mind to it. I have also set some health goals for 2010 although less extreme. Keep up the good work and keep blogging- I'll check back!

    ReplyDelete