4.07.2010

In loving memory

It's no secret that I haven't posted in a while. I could say I've been busy. Or lazy. Or not feeling creative.

But all of those excuses would be lies.

The truth is that my grandmother passed away two weeks ago. I've been feeling pretty down and not in the mood to do any of the things I normally love: seeing friends, writing this blog or running.

But even that's not the whole truth.

My grandma was subscribed to this blog. She would receive an e-mail every time I published a post. And she replied — to all of them.

She sent sweet notes with words of encouragement. Or links to running articles. My favorite e-mails were the ones that said those simple words: "I'm proud of you."

I've always thought I'm a lot like my grandma. She, too, was a writer. She loved to meet people. She loved to laugh. She loved being around friends and family. I'm not too proud to admit I shared even some of her less-positive traits: big feet and a lack of organization, for example.

I haven't posted in a while because I know that after I hit "publish post," an e-mail will go to her account. And she won't respond.

That thought has been just too much to bear for the past couple of weeks.

But the half-marathon is coming up quick. I have a 13-mile run this weekend. My grandma wouldn't have wanted me to quit writing or running, for that matter.

So instead of focusing on my loss, when I push "publish," I'm going to remember the best part: She was proud of me.

In loving memory of Mary Ellen Cooper

7 comments:

  1. I had been wondering how your training was going. I am sorry to hear of your loss. good luck on the 13 miler this week and good luck on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears... Not common for Latin Man. "Yo soy tu amigo"

    ReplyDelete
  3. hugs, and good luck with your Half Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending hugs your way! I can so understand. :( My mother was my email buddy and when she passed away in 2000, I felt the same way about email. My grandma is 92, and while she does not have internet..she does send me snail mail. I think it is a wonderful thing to have a great relationship with grandparents. Cherish all those special memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma was SO proud of you, Jenny! So am I. Good luck on your 1/2 marathon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, write on! She was an inspriration to so many people and her passing leaves a big hole in our lives. You go on running and writing and know that she is proud of you.

    ReplyDelete